Are you searching for distance learning courses for online study? You’re at the right place. This article features a list of top 10 distance learning courses for online study. Read on.
Distance learning, also called online learning, is a form of education whereby the main elements include physical separation of teachers and students during instruction and the use of internet to facilitate student-teacher and student-student communication.
Traditionally, distance learning has focused on nontraditional students, such as people on full-time job, military personnel, and nonresidents or people in remote regions who are not able to attend classroom lectures.
However, distance learning has become an important part of the educational world, with trends pointing to its rapid growth.
In the United States, more than 5.6 million university students were registered in at least one online course in the autumn of 2009, from the previous registered students of 1.6 million in 2002.
Students and institutions seize the opportunity of distance learning with good reason. Universities benefit by adding students without having to construct new classrooms and housing, and students use the advantages of being able to work and study in their own convenience.
Public-school systems offer particular courses such as small-enrollment languages and Advanced Placement classes without setting up different classrooms. In addition, homeschooled students are able to have access to centralized instruction.
Benefits Of Distance Learning
With the use of Virtual learning environments, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) and other networking technologies mean that distance learning is more engaging and improving than ever, capable of providing an exhaustive and complete education to students around the globe.
Here’s a list of some of the direct benefits of distance education along with some benefits that are unique to virtual learning.
- Location Independent: One of the most obvious benefits of distance learning is that it can be accessed from any location, provided there is an internet connection. Moving from one city or town to another can be quite expensive especially if it is a large capital and may not even be an option due to your nature of work or family responsibilities. Attending college in abroad may also be difficult and expensive due to visa restrictions.
- Cost: Distance learning can provide a higher quality education at a lower cost. Without the abnormal overheads of a campus, classrooms, equipment, offices and administration, virtual learning can pass these savings on to students.
- Access to Cutting Edge Digital Content: Distance learning colleges and organizations can more easily get used to the needs and realities of changing industry. This is especially important in the digital sector where change is measured in a short period (weeks) rather than years.
- International Teams: A distance learning course brings diverse group of students together. This can expose students to cultural approaches in projects and work that they would not have received in a conventional education environment. Most of distance learning instructors are highly qualified in their respective fields and bring a wealth of experience to each of the international teams.
- Broader Networking Opportunities: An effect of this diverse student body is that it provides networking opportunities outside of what a student could routinely expect. Fellow students can interact with each other and become lifelong contacts and friends. As each student progresses in their individual careers they create an ever more valuable network that often span the entire world
- Flexible Learning: Distance learning enable students to study flexibly and balance work and home life. Most online lectures are recorded and available for participants to watch 24/7 online and from any convinent location.
- International Industry Partner Projects: International industry partner projects are specific to Digital Skills. Normally, each participants gets to work on real-life digital projects with international team members. They get to work on different projects such as; app development, website development, software development, prototype development, digital marketing, etc.
Here’s A List Of The Top 10 Distance Learning Courses For Online Study
Universities and colleges set their own admission eligibility for higher education courses, so they vary widely. Students may be able to get into higher education with a range of qualifications depending on the course.
If you’re applying for a course, you may find that work experience is considered alongside any qualifications you have.
Some higher education institutes and colleges offer courses as a form of preparation for a particular type of degree. They usually don’t result in different criteria as they simply qualify you to enroll for the degree program itself. Courses can be taught in a wide selection of fields of study.
The Open University Online Educator (FutureLearn)
This is developed by The Open University’s Institute of Educational Technology, explores four belief: that learning design is about technology and content; that innovation and accessibility cannot coexist; that online learning about research is an ethics-free zone, and that online instructors’ identities are irrelevant.
Higher Education Teaching Certificate (Harvard)
The Harvard Bok Higher Education Teaching Certificate is an online short course that gives you the opportunity to create a positive, supportive, and inclusive learning environment through the application of world-class teaching practices, which was previously accessible to Harvard faculty and students (in-person) only.
Northeastern Teaching Certificate
The Northeastern University Teaching Certificate of Science of Social and Emotional Learning will enable you to effectively plan classroom experiences that promote self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, building relationships, and making decisions through equity and trauma-informed lens.
At the course of this online program, you’ll learn how Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) can help reduce stress, anxiety, and trauma while promoting well-being and increase social awareness. With a thorough look at the key concepts of SEL, you’ll learn how to improve the experience in your classroom practices.
Leading Ambitious Teaching and Learning (edX)
With edX you can explore superior teaching and learn how collaboration between students and instructors can lead to deeper learning and the development of 21st-century skills.
This course is developed in association with Microsoft as part of the Microsoft K-12 Education Leadership initiative, which goal is to help K-12 school leaders pursue ambitious instruction in classrooms.
Harley Oxford 120HR TEFL Course
Harley Oxford provides fully certified Teaching English as Foreign Language (TEFL) course which is a gateway into the world of teaching English abroad.
Disability Course (University Of Cape Town)
You can discover ways to make education more inclusive, especially in areas with limited resources.
Primary School Course (University Of Reading)
This helps you build your understanding of learning and teaching to acquire confidence in supporting children in schools as a teaching assistant.
Complex Trauma Course (Queensland University Of Technology)
Broaden your knowledge about complex trauma and understand its effects on children and adolescents, and know what can be done to help.
Vocational Education And Training Centre (University Of Leeds)
Prepare your students to be successful in their workplace by fostering digital skills through blended learning.
English Lessons Course (British Council)
Understand and plan your professional development as an English as Foreign Language (EFL) teacher, with this flexible teaching ExpertTrack.
Final Words On Distance Learning Courses For Online Study
Distance learning was initially designed for people who are unable to attend traditional schools. Today, it is a popular type of education for students from all over the world. Even students on traditional campuses are enrolling for distance learning courses.
Was this information useful to you? Read similar posts recommended for you below.
- 10 Best Free Online Classes For Adults You Probably Didn’t Know Exist
- Colorado College Acceptance Rate, Tuition And Ranking
- MIT Acceptance Rate, Tuition, Courses Catalogue, Admission Requirements And Application Portal
- Penn State Tuition: Penn State University Undergraduate Tuition And Fees