Want to learn about the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) Pension? Search no more, this article features all you need to know about the SASSA Pension. Continue reading!
The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) administer a number of different social grant to its citizens. The pensioners grant which is the old pension grant, pays out a maximum of R1,890 per month while for citizens older than 75 years old will receive up to R1,910 monthly.
Citizens of South Africa can get a grant to see them through their old age. Grants for older people are paid to people who are 60 years old and above.
Who Qualifies For A SASSA Pension?
To qualify for a SASSA Pension you must:
- Be a citizen of South Africa and resides in the country permanently
- Not be receiving any other grant
- Not be cared for in a state institution
- Earn at most R86,280 for singles and R172,560 for couples.
- Not have assets worth more than R1,227,600 for singles and R2,455,200 for couples.
How Will I Get Paid?
The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will pay the benefits to retirees through one of the following methods:
- Cash at a particular point on the day of payment
- Electronic deposit into the retirees’ bank account (bank charges may apply)
- Institutions (e.g. home for old citizens)
Note: If you are unable to receive your benefit yourself, you can appoint an agent at the SASSA office, or give someone else the power of attorney to collect the benefit on your behalf.
How To Apply For SASSA Pension Online
Unfortunately, application forms are not available online, but applicants can apply at the nearest SASSA office close to you.
Below is a step by step guide on how to apply for SASSA Pension
- Go to the nearest SASSA office close to you. You’ll be required to bring the following documents:
- Your bar-coded identity. In case you do not have an ID, then:
- You must complete an affidavit in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths, the commissioner must not be a SASSA official
- You must bring a sworn statement signed by a person of reputation who can verify your name and age
- You will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for your bar-coded ID while your application is processed. In case you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.
- A copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or any other proof of marital status
- A valid proof of residence
- Proof of your private pension (if any)
- A Proof of your income
- A Proof of your assets
- Your recent bank statement not more than three months.
- If you were previously employed, you need to provide a proof of your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) from your previous employer.
- A copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts (if applicable)
- Please note: If you are too old or sick to apply in person, you can appoint a family member or friend to apply on your behalf. The appointed person should take a letter from you and/or a note from your doctor saying why you cannot visit the office.
- Complete and submit the application form in the presence of the SASSA official. Upon successful completion, you will then interviewed, after which you’ll be told if you are qualified or not.
- You will be given an application receipt. Ensure to keep it safe for reference
How Do I Check My SASSA Pension Balance
You can check your pension balance by dialing *120*69277# on your cell phone. Then follow the command prompt
Final Words On SASSA Pension
You can apply for the old age grant by filling in an application form at the nearest SASSA office close to you, ensure to go along with necessary documents listed above.
Was this information useful to you? Read similar posts recommended for you below.
- Blacklisted And Need A Loan Urgently: Loans For Bad Credit In South Africa
- Government Employees Pension Fund
- Capfin Loan SA: Requirements And How To Apply For Capfin Loan In South Africa
- African Bank Loan SA: Interest Rate, Requirements And How To Apply
- ABSA Branch Code
- Capitec Transfer Code: How To Register And Send Money With The USSD Code
- ABSA Cellphone Banking Code: How To Register, Activate And Transfer Money With ABSA USSD Code
- ABSA Swift Code: ABSA Bank South Africa Swift BIC Code For International Wire Transfers
- Bank Of Industry Loan: How To Apply And Requirements
- How To Apply For SMEDAN Loan
- How To Get LAPO Microfinance Bank Loan
- Student Loans Plan 1 or 2: How Student Loan Repayment Works